Vic Metro claimed its first NAB AFL Under-16 Championships title in 10 years on Friday, defeating Western Australia at The Gabba to complete an unbeaten 2019 campaign.
Vic Country was also successful in Brisbane on Friday, prevailing over South Australia by 16 points to post its first victory of this year’s Championships.
First up in the double-header of games, head coach Heath Black’s Metro team triumphed over WA by 67 points to follow up wins against Country by 18 points at GMHBA Stadium in June and SA by 21 points at Southport Oval on Monday.
Metro blew WA away with a 12-goal-to-three second half, turning a six-point lead at the main break into a 17-point advantage at three-quarter-time and then piling on seven unanswered majors in the final term.
Eastern Ranges gamebreaker Tyler Sonsie was named Metro’s MVP of the Championships for his damaging performances through the midfield and inside 50.
Later in the day, head coach Nathan Harris’ Country group put Monday’s heartbreaking two-point loss to WA behind it to grind out a win against SA. Scores were level towards the end of the third quarter before Country asserted its authority on the contest with a strong final stanza.
Murray Bushrangers ball-winner and Country co-captain Joshua Rachele was subsequently named the team’s MVP as well as the Kevin Sheehan Medal winner for the best player in Division 1 of the Championships.
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 2.3 5.5 8.7 8.7 (55)
VIC METRO 4.0 6.5 11.6 18.14 (122)
Vic Metro: A. Lukic (Oakleigh) 5, T. Sonsie (Eastern) 4, Z. Taylor (Calder) 2, B. Howes (Sandringham) 2, J. Rossimel (Northern), T. Leiu (Eastern), Y. Dib (Oakleigh), H. Brown (Oakleigh), J. Soligo (Eastern)
Vic Metro: T. Sonsie, Y. Dib, J. Soligo, A. Lukic, J. Sinn (Sandringham), Z. Taylor
- Y. Dib: 20 disposals, five tackles, four clearances, four inside-50s
- T. Sonsie: 19 disposals, four clearances, four inside-50s
- J. Soligo: 19 disposals, five marks, three clearances, five inside-50s
- B. Andrews (Oakleigh): 17 disposals, three clearances, three inside-50s
- T. Leiu: 17 disposals, five clearances
- Z. Taylor: 17 disposals, three inside-50s
- J. Sinn: 14 disposals, eight inside-50s
- L. Brooks (Sandringham): 14 disposals, four clearances, eight inside-50s
- J. Goater (Calder): 14 disposals, four marks, four inside-50s
- J. Newitt (Calder): 14 disposals, four rebound-50s
- B. Howes: 10 disposals, five marks
- D. Visentini (Sandringham): seven disposals, 22 hitouts, five tackles, three inside-50s
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 3.0 6.2 8.3 10.3 (63)
VIC COUNTRY 2.5 6.5 8.12 11.13 (79)
Vic Country: T. Brown (Murray) 3, B. Hobbs (GWV) 2, C. Macdonald (Dandenong) 2, C. Molan (GWV), H. Hamilton (Bendigo), J. Rachele (Murray), J. Davies (Dandenong)
Vic Country: J. Rachele, B. Hobbs, T. Brown, C. Molan, S. Breuer (GWV), T. Conway (Geelong)
- J. Rachele: 26 disposals, three clearances, three inside-50s
- B. Hobbs: 25 disposals, four marks, 10 tackles, eight clearances, six inside-50s
- C. Molan: 20 disposals, four clearances, three inside-50s
- S. Breuer: 18 disposals, three rebound-50s
- T. Brown: 16 disposals, five inside-50s
- H. Hamilton: 15 disposals, five clearances, four tackles
- M. Moschetti (Gippsland): 13 disposals, five tackles, four rebound-50s
- J. Rentsch (GWV): 13 disposals, 10 hitouts, four clearances
- K. Lohmann (GWV): 13 disposals, five clearances, four tackles
- T. Conway: 10 disposals, 13 hitouts, four inside-50s
- C. Chesser (Sandringham): nine disposals, five marks, three inside-50s, three rebound-50s
- B. Green (Gippsland): nine disposals, eight tackles, three clearances